Friday, January 17, 2014

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
In your book were written
all the days that were formed for me,
when none of them as yet existed.
 Psalm 139:13-16

Daughter,

While you sat on the doctor's table swinging your size four feet and smiling that wonderful smile this morning, I smiled back at you.  We were both being brave for the other.  You try to be brave so much.  I see you how you put up that front.  I can tell.  I see it in your eyes.  A mother just knows.  It must be hard to see your two sisters, only minutes older than you, not have to face the same challenges as you.  

The day I entered the hospital was the day I was told there was great concern for you.  I prayed and I prayed.  As the machines whirred and beeped, I breathed slow, deep breaths and I prayed.  The rhythm of the machines had such a calming effect on me.  I prayed to the One who made you in His image. I offered every moment of every day in that hospital for you and for your sisters.  I was doing all that I knew to do.  When I surrendered my will to God, I had the most unbelievable peace.  I knew that no matter what happened, God was with me and He would see me through.  

Six days later, you and your sisters were born.  You were born from prayer and into this world you were greeted with prayer. We knew you needed a special name.  We picked Strength, daughter.  We knew you were going to need all the strength you could muster to make it through.  And make it through, you did!  

For a number of years we were living gloriously carefree of doctor visits.  Now we are back and things are different for both of us this time.  We both hear the whirring and the beeping.  Those machines still have that calming effect on me.  I take deep, long breaths and pray as you go through tests.  As I pray and relax, I know it's going to be fine.  I know deep down that it's going to be fine.  
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose. - Romans 8:28
God has a plan for you, daughter.  






No comments:

Post a Comment