Saturday, July 7, 2012

Till This Moment


The title of this blogs comes from a line in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennett, who thought Mr. Darcy to be insufferable, realizes after reading his letter to her that he isn't such a bad guy after all.

``How despicably have I acted!'' she cried. -- ``I, who have prided myself on my discernment! -- I, who have valued myself on my abilities! who have often disdained the generous candour of my sister, and gratified my vanity, in useless or blameable distrust. -- How humiliating is this discovery! -- Yet, how just a humiliation! -- Had I been in love, I could not have been more wretchedly blind. But vanity, not love, has been my folly. -- Pleased with the preference of one, and offended by the neglect of the other, on the very beginning of our acquaintance, I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away, where either were concerned.
Till this moment, I never knew myself.''

Like Elizabeth, I've worn the blinders of vanity.  It has been that very vanity that led me to realize I that all that I thought I knew had fallen through my fingertips.  Nothing was really as I supposed it to be.  Until that moment, I never knew myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment